john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech ASE certified

Okay. It is a 2006 Chrysler 300, purchased used about a year

Customer Question

Okay. It is a 2006 Chrysler 300, purchased used about a year ago, with 85,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been coming on for the past 6 months. The dealership told us that it was because we needed a new EGR valve, and that the intake ports and throttle body were probably in need of cleaning, among other things. We did all of that, and the iight came back on within 24 hours. It is the second time I've spent on the order of 1200 on this car in 6 months at the same garage (thinking I'd give them one more chance). Shame on me. They're not seeing the car again. At this point, upon the first cold start of the day, the idle is a little rough (or not smooth), there is some hesitation the first time the car is put into gear when the gas pedal is depressed - almost as if there is something clogging the fuel filter, then the car suddenly lurches forward as if the mysterious contaminant has vanished. This is accompanied with a flashing check engine light that turns solid again after 5 or 6 flashes. I've been reading old posts here, and it sounds like a timing/spark issue. Any thoughts?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The engine starts. Not sure if we've put a battery in it since we bought it.s
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. I'm hoping to have to go back to a garage only ONCE more.
JA: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: The oil and filter are fresh, and the air filter is new, too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

can you tell me all the codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, John. I can't. What you see is what I know. After the first start of the day, there seems to be no problem other than that the check engine light stays lit constantly.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you