HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Auto Technician
285738

My wife locked the keys in the trunk : we have a 2003

Customer Question

my wife locked the keys in the trunk
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: we have a 2003 sebring lxi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried to remove or lift the back seat, oh it
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: it's a convertible
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Hello, you cant access the trunk area thru the rear seat because its a convertible? You dont have a spare key to the vehicle or key fob?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No spare. When we bought the car, used, it only had one. I was about to try going thru the back seat but i don't want to cause any damage. Any suggestions?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

That would be the only way if there is no trunk release switch inside the vehicle center console, glove box or door. There should be an emergency pull handle on the trunk lid to open the trunk from the inside as a safety feature with a yellow handle. If not once in the trunk you should be able to get the keys locked inside.Other than that call a locksmith to make a key to get into the trunk

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what type of wire should I use from the engine to the button on the dash that opens the trunk?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

The trunk unlock button should work with the key off long as the battery has a charge.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay, what kind of wire should I use?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Im not understanding why you need to use a wire? You are tryng to push the button through an open window? Locked car?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, but I push the button and nothing happens; the trunk doesn't open and no, the battery isn't dead
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The car isn't locked; the button has never worked unless the key is in the ignition; why is that?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Ok then it is set up as a security feature for the trunk not to open from inside unless the key is turned to on. You can either climb through the rear seat or disassemble the steering column cover and attempt to manually turn the ignition electrical switch to on to pop the trunk

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how in the heck do I disassemble the steering column cover?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I'm going to have to call a locksmith
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

That would be your best bet to call a locksmith, they can make a dummy key to pop the trunk. Be a bit of work to disassemble the trim panels around the steering column

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how about Triple AAA?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

They may be able to help, depends on the plan you have, give them a call and see if they offer that type of lockout service