Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My check engine light is coming on and it's running choppy :

Customer Question

My check engine light is coming on and it's running choppy
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Check engine light is came on keeps blinking and it was running choppy and would not hardly get any power
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I'm going to take it to a mechanic
JA: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: I had to replace the thermostat a couple weeks ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** year, model, and engine size of your vehicle? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1996 Chrysler Concorde 3.5 engine
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Does it idle good? Has anything been replaced yet? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it starts up fine and idles just fine but it's choppy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It starts up fine and idles fine but it runs choppy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

If it seems to idle fine but only runs rough while driving at higher speeds this points toward worn spark plug wires. I'd start by checking diagnostic codes which you can do at your local parts store for free. If it only gives you a misfire code replace the spark plug wires. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.