Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

My 2004 Sebring will not start with belt on but will without

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well I have replaced the coil pack the cam sensor wires and plugs and still won't start
JA: Sometimes changing spark plugs can be a challenge -- more than a few things to consider. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I tried both with and without the serpinten belt with out it starts fine but is a bit rough.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: With it it requires someone to place there hand over the intake then remove it slowly as it starts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fuel pump making its noise
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With out serp belt it starts right up with no issues except a little rough
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With belt it will not start up unless u hold your hand almost covering the air intake and slowly removing it then it starts but dies after you remove the foot off pedal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh and it keeps comming up with a p2302 code
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 8 months ago.

hello . I am happy to assist you with this .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok

what engine do you have , is your car coupe , sedan , convertible ?

2.4 or 2.7 ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2.4 convertible
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With x engine code

okay thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it possible that the computer is failing

the DTC is a coil , coil wire , miss fire fault . have you checked the spark plugs and/or plug wires ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are brand new
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Plus it fires right up without serp belt but is a bit rough

is this the same problem you had before changing the plugs ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It would not turn over
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It sounded like it wanted to but would not
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have replaced coil pack spark wires and plugs, cam sensor so far

you can have a " carbon tracking " issue internally in the coil pack . The reduced load of not driving the accessory items will allow it to run while the belt is off but with a 4 cylinder engine that load from the P/S pump and other accessory drive components will not allow the engine to run due to internal miss fires or " double firing " 2 or more cylinders at the same time . Are the spark plug wires new ? If you remove one spark plug wire and try starting the engine to see if the engine runs differently ( better ) this can confirm this fault . try one plug wire , if no change , put it back on and try another one .

the coil pack is new ? not used ?

have you done a compression test ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Coil pack brand new from auto zone two weeks ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No way to do a compression test

okay how many miles on the engine ?

how did this problem start ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
174578

engine running fine , turned off and came back to start next time and this problem was there ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One day it was working fine now I knew at this time the battery was almost completely dead it was replaced next day

what is 174578 ?

LOL , okay , the mileage . sorry

You need to check compression and the timing belt . I suspect the timing belt has jumped

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On that same day the battery was replaced it started fine at first then a little while later they get it started it dies going thru a intersection they jump start it then it goes a bit then dies
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why would it start without serp belt

with that mileage and the symptom , that is most likely the issue

because of the " lightened " mechanical load . The valve timing will decrease the amount of engine vacuum required for the induction system ( intake ) to operate correctly . That is why it will start and run when you cover the intake . You are increasing the " engine Vacuum "

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will look at the timing belt today

if the valve timing is " late " the engine will miss and be " sluggish " it is a common problem on older , higher mileage engines with belt driven camshafts

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the computer possibly failing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought about changing it to a chain

no . you cannot change it to a chain . the recommended service life of a timing belt averages 80,000 miles . yours is way over it's recommended or expected lifespan .

there is no need to suspect the computer . this is basic diagnostics . check the belt . :-)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yea it has the crysler logo on it so I assume it's the original
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But it looks in really good shape

the tensioner could have failed and allowed the belt to " jump " . If the belt has ever been changed it would most likely be a Napa , gates or Daycl belt , etc .

Dayco *

It is recommended to always replace the tensioner when changing the timing belt .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so it is original it had 130,000 when we got it from the Chrysler dealership used
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you please leave this open so if I have another issue related to this I'm
Not explaining it again

okay . Thank you for using just answer . When you are done I would appreciate it if you would feel inclined to give me a positive ( 5 star ) rating as this helps me greatly . it does not cost you anything additional . Thanks . Kevin

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Timing belt was spot on

hello again . Okay well that is good news then . BUT ...... now that takes back to the need to test the compression . in order for the engine to run properly , it needs to be mechanically " tight " so 2 things . Compression test first . you need to see somewhere between 140 to maybe as high as 175-180 lbs. of compression on all 4 cylinders with no more than 10 - 15 lbs variation between the highest and the lowest cylinder . One other quick test you could do first however is to get an aerosol can of Brake Cleaner . Start the engine , keep it running at a steady speed and spray the intake / induction area while the engine is running and see if the engine speeds up and smooths out .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With or without belt

either . if it will run with the belt on . with the belt