Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles .

The trunk portion will not close. the top is secured down

Customer Question

The trunk portion will not close. the top is secured down but the trunk is up in the air, stuck.
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: no
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: If I want to put the top down the trunk will not come down. It stays up in the air. Now I have the top secured and locked in the closed position but the trunk cover will not come down and latch.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would if I could
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: I don't know how I can drive it to a dealership in this condition.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to assist you

can you tell me year , model & mileage of your chrysler .

are you talking about a convertible sebring ?

Chad F

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a 2013 Chrysler 200 Touring. They (Chrysler) did not use the Seabring lablel that year.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I was not aware of the year of the car till now ,you right in 2013 They call it Chrysler 200Most likely it is a bad micros switch where it detects top operation so if there was a break in the movement cycle it will stop in mid point .
To know which micro top swicth is bad you will need to scan the top control module and retrieve any faults code .You can try to do a hard reset by disconnecting the negative battery for a good 10 min and reconnect see if that will reset the system ,but if the control module see the fault again it will stop top operation in midpoint .
I m Sorry about you car troubles
Hope that was helpful to youLet me know if I can answer anything else you have on this top issue .

There is an emergency bypass mode ( To Raise The Top Only) it is used if the top can not be returned to the closed position .

Press The Power Top Switch in the top up direction 5 times Within 2 secs (u have to be quick doing it) and continue hold the switch in the top up position for a minimum of 2 minutes

If damage start to occur while in the emergency bypass mode ,immediately release power top switch and see and authorized dealer .