Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 pacifica won't pull in starter relay : Starter cranks

Customer Question

2004 pacifica won't pull in starter relay
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Starter cranks when in jump pole in start relay. Start relay never pulls in when key is turned
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jumped start relay and sent power to starter. Starter sounds fine
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

With the relay removed, are there 2 pins there which are powered when trying to start?

With the key on, the relay bypassed, it cranks, but will it start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Only one. Fed from 40 amp fuse #7.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the back and forth emails always 24 hours apart? It may take 3 weeks or so at this rate.....

If we are both online at the same time the replies back and forth are pretty fast.

Can you respond to both questions I previously asked?

Here is your starting diagram https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/pacificastart.pdf

Next we need to see if the ignition switch is powering the yellow wire at the switch connector when trying to start.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the top of your screen you will see 1-5 stars and a green submit button. You have already paid all the fees, now its time to rate the answer. Rating pays me from your deposit. I am only paid through not by the website if you rate me. Don't worry about a follow up later if needed, they are free and I welcome them. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is not getting power when trying to start. This was for a friends son that was desperate to drive. I used two toggle switches to "hotwire" the car temporarily. One switch wS connected to a 10 amp fuse and the other side of switch to terminal 86 on starter relay. Second switch is heavy duty 35 amp switch that connects 30 to 87 on same starter relay. You first flip switch for the "coil power" then flip switch to engage the starter. Once car is running, flip both switches off. Car continues to run until ignition switch is turned off with the key.It acts like something is keeping power away for starting. Is there a gear shifter switch that does this? What else could it be? When you turn key to start, the radio and displays go out just like they should so I'm guessing ignition switch is good.

First off you have to get the ignition switch to power the yellow wire to the starter relay pin 85. You wrote is not getting power so we need to test another wire at the ignition switch. If the light blue/red wire is powered but yellow is not when trying to start then the ignition switch is bad.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Car is not here right now. Would I have to take ignition switch apart to test wire? Did you see that radio and display goes dark when trying to start? Wouldn't this indicate that switch is good? Is there a switch on shifter that prevents power from being sent to relay or not?

No you do not take the switch apart.

Yes I saw where you said the radio goes off when trying to start.

No that is not a sufficient test of the ignition switch.

As you can see in the prior diagram I sent there is nothing in the circuit between the ignition switch and starter relay.

Keep in touch if needed and thanks for rating my response when your ready.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I'll check it when I can and get back to you. I'm guessing since you have not answered about a switch in the shifter and the diagram does show one, that it does not exist in the power flow.

That is correct, there is not a transmission range sensor switch on that circuit we are testing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is the test point for the light blue/red wire you referenced? I tested all the fuses and could not find a bad one

At the connector that plugs into the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any diagrams or instructions on how to get to it? I have not taken one apart before.

This is how you replace it, your only needing to access the wires into the connector.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/pacificaignition.pdf

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris