bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 1999 town & country. passengers power window stuck

Customer Question

I have a 1999 town & country. passengers power window stuck in up posision. When I try to move window up or down the motor tries to run but looks like window is jammed and won't move in either direction. I have door panel off but not sure where to look for the problem.
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: motor has power
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just took off door panel not sure we to go from there
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 10 months ago.

if you can hear the motor attempt to run and the window is attached to the regulator and not damaged in any way (rare) the only remaining cause is the regulator assembly, since you have the door panel already off you can see it is a cable and motor style unit, this regulator has NO service parts and is serviced as a complete unit, you can get them from places like NAPA for about 80 bucks complete, the motor is NOT serviced as a unit and the regulator ONLY comes with a motor.

these can be tricky to remove and install and you DEFINITLY need to work out the window to get the room needed wo work outt he regulator assembly, the aftermarket part will likely look a bit different and MAY mount different BUT will work

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can the regulator be tested? I'm having a tough time getting the window out.I took 4 torx bolts on rail but can't get it clear of window .
Expert:  bill replied 10 months ago.

the regulator and motor are an assembly and that is how they are serviced, the cables usually get bound up or break causing the window to freeze.

you need to remove the clips on the window and release the window from the pins FIRST if the window is jammed UP the procedure is cut the cables to allow the window to move freely,

if you want the directions on regulator removal i will need the vin to pull the correct procedure

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just one more thing before I get any further. Can I take out regulator and keep the glass in place or shall I put everything in place until I get a new one?
Expert:  bill replied 10 months ago.

the regulator is the ONLY thing that holds the window up so i would leave it in place until you have a replacement