sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I hAVE 2006 Town and country. I typically have the rear seat

Customer Question

I hAVE 2006 Town and country. I typically have the rear seat folded down. Today when I tried to use them. The seats locked into place but the back will not engage and stay up
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The seats are engaged with the floor. The next step is to bring the back up to vertical and they are supposed to lock into a seating position. The backs do not, they will move to a reclined position when held but return to folded position when not held.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I would like to use these seats today.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have played with the straps and this has not solved the problem.
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The issue could be with the recliner mechanisms themselves or possibly something foreign has made it's way into the mechanisms and is preventing the linkage from moving far enough to allow them to lock. The seats may need to be disassembled and/or removed for diagnosis and repair.

When the straps or handles are released do they appear to spring back to their normal position or do they possibly not move far enough?

Is it possible that something foreign could have made it's way into the seats (children's small toys for instance)?