john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech ASE certified

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser 5 speed with about 105,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser 5 speed with about 105,000 miles. About a year ago I had the clutch replaced, drive belt and brakes on the front. For about a year off and on, my car has overheated and/or I could hear my coolant boiling, but only about 2 times until about 2 weeks ago. Since then, I have had the fan motor and relay replaced and most recently the thermostat. They refilled my coolant that time also. I drove the car (without air conditioning) after picking it up, about 1/2 mile, and when I stopped, I noticed there was coolant on the ground and before I turned it off I could hear it boiling but it was not overheating at that point. It was evening at that time, so the outside temperature was about 57.
I continued to drive it to my destination which was about another 5 miles and once again I noted that the coolant was boiling, but no overheating. I drove it back home which was about 10 miles. During that trip is was not overheating, but when I got home, I could hear the coolant boiling.
Today, I took off and the temperature gauge went to 1/2 way after about 3-4 miles, which it usually does. Then I stopped for 1/2 hour, could hear the coolant boiling when I stopped. Then I left again and drove about 1/2 mile and all of a sudden noticed that the car was starting to overheat. Also, as I have noticed in the past, before the car overheat, it starts to hesitate and the tachometer fluctuates to just below 1000 back to 1000. When this starts, the gauge starts going up. I had to drive another 1/2 mile to get an exit where I could park and the temperature never went into the red. Also, just to let you know, I ran the heater on defrost which seems to help keep it from going red.
I sat for about an hour before starting home again, and it did not overheat on the way home, but I could hear the coolant boiling when I stopped.
What the heck? Any full proof ideas?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 months ago.

are the radiator fans working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as far as I know, I just had the motor replaced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The whole key is that it all appears to be sporadic when it happens.

when its hot and you hear the bubbling are the fans running? very important to know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe I had hear the whirling, although I have not looked under the hood when it is running. What would have caused the fans to stop working since yesterday when I picked it up from Pep Boys?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there?

failed fan relay?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They just replaced the fan relay about 4 days ago--is it possible for it to fail that quickly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The most recent service included a coolant system evaluation, did a Block test, tested the radiator cap, checked for leaks. Removed and replaced thermostat. Replaced the water outlet gasket. refilled with Proline LL full strength antifreeze (everything I have read is that a 50/50 mix is needed--is this a huge issue?)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can the fan fail intermittently? and would it cause the other symptoms like the hesitation and the fluctuation in the idle speed?

it all depends ...we need to verify if its working or not

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd rather not call.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been 20 minutes since you last answered me. Should I just leave the conversation and ask for a refund?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't realize that my answer could come anytime in the next 24 hours.

van you verify cooling fan operation? without adequate info I cant give a accurate answer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I will go outside in the morning to see if they are running.

any luck?

Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you