sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Control panel lights flash off and on, when this happens the

Customer Question

Control panel lights flash off and on, when this happens the speedomotor and tachometer quit working. The headlights flash also. Now the Malfunction Indicator Light is staying on. What is the problem?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chrysler Mechanic to figure that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Just as I described above. All the lights on the instrument panel flash off and on along with the headlights. The speedomotor and tachomotor quit working also at this time. Now the Malfunction Indicator light is staying on all the time.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if we can, if we know how. We just want it fixed even if we have to go to a Chrysler dealer.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, we know nothing.
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: It is a 2007 Chrysler Aspen. It runs great but the instrument panel goes on and off and the headlights flash. And will it hurt it to drive it until the place is open Tuesday?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you have a bus communication issue. There are two bus networks which modules communicate with each other on, if communication stops then it will cause the symptoms you're describing. A loss of bus communication could be a wiring issue or an internal failure in any module. It will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on.

Do you know what fault codes are setting at least in the powertrain control module?