Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

Had the charging light come on so had it checked. They told

Customer Question

Had the charging light come on so had it checked. They told me the battery was bad and free replacement. Light still remained on and had it checked by another employee. He said the alternator was going bad. Replaced alternator only to see the same idiot light, Had the alternator that I removed bench checked which checked good. This vehicle is all original and the battery connections are solid. Just paid a mechanic 150.00 to troubleshoot. He is thinking the new alternator is bad.
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New Battery and alternator. Cleaned terminals and had all electrical connections checked.
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

What year and model is your chrysler?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure model but 4 cly auto. Vehicle still at his shop
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Ok. I've had a couple of chryslers that wouldn't function properly without a chrysler factory alternator being used as the replacement. For some reason aftermarket alternators just don't work on these cars. Without knowing the model I'm not sure if yours falls in that category.

Perhaps we should continue once we know the model?

I am leaving my shop for the day in about fifteen minutes. I will check back with you this evening to see if you were able to determine the model.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jared, I will pick up my car in a few hours and talk with the mechanic. I'm going to remove the new alternator and have it checked out.
I will know what model also. Auto Zone is where I purchased the replacement and have heard some bad reviews but they have good warranties.First issue I've ever had.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

They usually do pretty well when it comes to alternators and other re-manufactured products, but I had a chrysler once that took 4 different alternators before we got one that would keep the battery light off.