Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Replaced the starter on our gmc 1972 pickup, hear it engage

Customer Question

Replaced the starter on our gmc 1972 pickup, hear it engage the fly wheel and it won't turn the fly wheel. Watched the starter to make sure it engaged and it did
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've replaced the battery, had the starter tested and checked good. Checked the wires and they look good. Don't really know why it started to act up over a year ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Don't really know how much it would cost to take it into a shop. If it is an easy fix that i can do then i will. Trying to get my mom's truck back on the road so she can be independent again
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: Replaced the battery, replaced the starter, traced all the wires
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 months ago.

Have you tried to turn the engine over by hand, with a socket on the front of the crankshaft. It would be good to make sure the engine isnt stuck where it wont turn.

Were you able to find the problem.