Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.

Pearl, First, I have been having a problem with the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, First, I have been having a problem with the transmission. 2011 Chrysler town & country. Clunking from Park to Drive or to Reverse.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: First 4 years, no problem. This past year though, loud clunk when moving from Park to Drive or Reverse. Similar to backing into a concrete post. Only 48,300 kms.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I took to dealer today. They told me it's is normal operation. They are full of shit. I have owned 17 new cars and 7 Chrysler Minivans. Nobody would take a new car home if it clunked like this.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: We drive 10,000 km per year. change oil spring and fall. Baby our vehicles. Clunking is not a normal experience.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to be able to diagnose what is going on with your transmission the first thing you are going to need to do it start with having the computer system scanned to see if there is an electronic control issue . In most cases if the problem is a control concern the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. If you can get the scan done and post back with the results. We can work from there. There is also one know issue that Chrysler has found that can cause a shift clunk which calls for reprogramming the computer. Chrysler has released a service bulletin for this as well. I have enclosed it in the link below for your review. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Ron, That is what the dealer did yesterday. Flash. My frustration is when they told me that the clunking sound is normal for this type of transmission. It didn't do it for the first 4 years I owned the van. Allan
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.
Allan, the clunking is not normal. Was the service bulletin steps done yesterday and did they scan it for you?