Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2.7 engine, installed new water pump and new timing chain

Customer Question

2.7 engine, installed new water pump and new timing chain and tensioner, aligned timing marks and turn motor over by hand and now timing marks don't line up with timing chain marks. why? also the tensioner tried to pre-prime it won't tighten up.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... If you have the timing set there is no need to turn the chain like there is for a timing belt.. Once it set correctly then all you will need to do is install the timing cover and start it up.. Once it running the oil pressure will fill the tensioner, but you have to make sure to "POP" the tensioner to allow it to kick out and hold tension until the oil pressure reaches it.. If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad