Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

2008 300 3.5l loud tapping sound from valve cover area runs

Customer Question

2008 300 3.5l loud tapping sound from valve cover area runs good noise some times quiets down other times louder have read about possible "rocker arm problems " if possible would like to have some insight before tearing into it thankyou.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The MOST common cause for the ticking is worn out rocker arms. These can be purchased as a "Rocker Shaft Assembly" -- part number(###) ###-####C from your local Dealer. You may be able to purchase these in the aftermarket also. Try Amazon or Ebay, search for 3.5 Rocker Shaft Assembly.

It is recommended to purchase both sides even if only one side is making noise.

Here is a pic of the rocker shaft assembly so you can see for yourself what it looks like with the valve cover removed.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

I'll be available if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.