sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

It starts just fine. But when I put it in drive it dies JA:

Customer Question

It starts just fine. But when I put it in drive it dies
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well I have a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica. It starts up with no hesitation. But when I put in drive or reverse, it dies
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well I don't have a lot of money, just looking for answers before I take it in to a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the engine runs fine but dies abruptly when put into gear the most likely cause would be the torque converter clutch coming on. The root cause is an issue in the valve body, but it may also require torque converter replacement.Has the engine light come on?When you put it in gear does it quickly drag the engine down and kill it with the same feel as letting out on the clutch with a manual trans while still holding the brake?