sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Unlocked pass. Front door with key, alarm went off when opened

Customer Question

Unlocked pass. Front door with key, alarm went off when opened the door...now car won't atart.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Hey Pearl...opened pass door with key, alarm went off...now car won't start.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes...sitting at a function, in a field. ..need to move the cat.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Starting it...that is all.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: Anti theft problem? ??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's hard to say exactly what's going on given no vehicle information was posted with the question, but it appears you have an older vehicle with factory VTSS security which needs to be disarmed. If the disarm switch in the passenger door is not working that would explain the alarm going off and then the engine would have started and died three times and locked the starter out. IF this is the case then unlocking the driver's door manually or pressing the unlock button on a key fob would disarm it.What year and model is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2001 chrysler 300m.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also only have a valet key...no fob or special key.
Does the key have a thick gray head?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Do you have the VIN?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
2C3AE66G81H674220
Headed into work...will get your response around 9:30am. Thanks!!
I'm also at work and will get back to you as quickly as I can!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Deal!!
The alarm initially went off due to the disarm switch in the passenger door not working, which could be the switch itself or it may have popped off the lock cylinder.You do have the SKIM system with a transponder in the key and the alarm would have disarmed when inserting a valid key in the ignition and turning it to the run position. The other half of your problem is that you need to be using a valid SKIM key, with a thick gray head. There is a transponder in the key that the SKIM module in the steering column has to validate for the engine to start and run.