Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country. It was having

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country. It was having intermittent starting issues. No cause or reason associated with it sometimes after sat all night, sometimes when I would go to the gas station and come out and won't start. There would be nothing when I turn the key but all my interior lights would work my radio would work. I would be able to jump or put battery charger on to start it. After a while it wore my battery down and I wasn't able to jump it. Took battery in confirmed bad battery. Replaced. Then it was not starting due to crank no start. Replaced Crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor and noticed the ASD fuse was blown replaced it and it started. Worked all day. Changed the oil. Started after the oil was changed. Next day, tried and won't start. Crank no start and the ASD fuse keeps blowing.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Which engine do you have in your van? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.8L V6
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh forgot to mention that there was a pigtail wire harness that was melted leading to the blower motor resistor. Just capped it off. The positive battery cable that goes to ground was corroded.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. The circuits that the ASD relay supplies power to are: The fuel injectors, ignition coil, Oxygen sensor heaters, and the alternator field windings. I have seen the ASD fuse blow due to melted O2 wires on the exhaust manifold or pipe, damaged insulation on the wiring to the injectors near the ignition coil pack bracket, and a shorted alternator field inside of the alternator.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Do a good and thorough inspection of the wiring at the O2 and injector wiring
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
If you cannot find anything, then suspect that alternator and replace it.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I hope this information helps and if so, would you please take a minute and rate my service when you get a chance?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I will still help you if you have further questions even after you rate. Thank you, Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found that there was a grounding wire that was not hooked on the exhaust. The ASD fuse is not blowing anymore but still crank no start
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, do you have access to a scan tool or code reader? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Any luck with the van? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not have access to a scanner. I haven't had any luck on it either.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
See if you can rent one from your auto parts store. It would be really helpful to know if any diagnostic trouble codes are being set. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't know you could do that thanks I'll call around
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok keep me posted. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know a certain parts store that does?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Where are you located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me do some research and see. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think there is any
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Try this store: O'Reilly Auto PartsCedar Rapids, IA - Store #796Main Number(319)(###) ###-####(***) ***-****4528 Center Point NECedar Rapids, IA 52402
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already have they don't
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, maybe it is time to purchase one. That is a tool you can use in the future also. Something to think about.Chris