Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

My ASD fuse keeps blowing, crank no start JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

My ASD fuse keeps blowing, crank no start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Was having intermittent starting issues, when it would happen I would try to start and nothing. I would then get jumped or hook up charger. Would start. Battery finally couldn't take it, replaced it. Then it was a crank no start. Changed cps and cam sensor and the ASD fuse was blown changed that started. Worked the rest of the day. Changed the oil the same day started after ran for the rest of the day. Next day crank no start, ASD fuse blown and blows when turned to the on position
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Explained previously
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2001 Chrysler Town and Country
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When the intermittent issues began and I would try to turn over and nothing would happen would still have all power to interior lights and radio
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Is this an LX, LXi, Limited or Ex and which engine, the 3.8 or 3.3? Is it gas or flex, ethanol? AWD, RWD or FWD? Auto or manual trans?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
You are going to need an ammeter and place it in the fuse's socket that is blowing and then get a reading with the key off and key on. If the amperage is too high with the key on, "like you said", then you will have to find out which branch circuit is causing it and possibly which part is shorted out, burn or grounded. Start disconnecting each item on each branch, even if that includes removing a fuse to a branch circuit, until the amperage falls to a safe limit that is well under what that fuse was rated at, then either replace the part you just disconnected or find and repair the shorted wire, etc.If you give me all the info I asked for, I c an look up the wiring diagram so you will know exactly what to disconnect.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3.8 V6 limited fwd and automatic. I did find the short but van still won't start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Where was the short and what was repaired or replaced?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Do you have voltage to the fuel injectors and ignition coils? Does the fuel pump run/ Are there any check engine or security lights on after bulb check?Will the engine start for a few seconds with starting fluid? If not, check for spark.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Here are the Engine Performance Circuits