Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Chrysler Pacifica LX: 07 Pacifica 4.0 FWD customer brought

Customer Question

07 Pacifica 4.0 FWD customer brought in for no start. Timing belt was broken replaced belt, water pump, idler and tensioner. Went to start and nothing. Checked with my scan tool and had no rpm. Crank sensor? Ok I replaced it and nothing. Pulled crank plug checked end with meter and had 5volts with key on but it had it on both sides of the pig tail. Can you help me?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.Do you have a solid red light on dash?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I turn the key on after it cycles the amber check engine is on and red oil light. No red lights on.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.
Have you scoped the crank sensor? or cam sensor?The Chrysler uses both for crank signal. If one has failed it will have a real extended crank like 35 seconds. Have you tried cranking that long?What codes do you have?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't have a scope and I did replace both cam and crank sensors already. No codes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you have a pin out so I can check the wires to make sure they are not broken?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
does this thing have compression?a broken timing belt WILL cause valves to bend
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Bill I didn't do a compression check as I think you have to take the upper intake off. What I am running in to is that I'm not seeing any RPM's on my scan tool. I am not getting any back fire out of the motor as I have encountered before with motors with bent valves. But I could be wrong.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
since this is not a freewheeling engine and only the timing belt broke (not common unless something takes it out) let's start with the basics and run compression on the engine, that upper plenum comes off pretty easy and you can get to the rear plugs without pulling the intake, if you have compression of at least 160psi then work on why there is no rpm signal
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll check it now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I went to try and pull the rear plug and it hit the intake even trying to pull it slightly to one side. I am guessing the intake needs to be removed?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
i have a set of flexible sockets i use in your case you MAY need to pull the upper intake, my last pacifica with a 4.0/3.5 (twin engines) with a broken belt ended up getting an engine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hope that's not my case but I will take the intake off tomorrow and check compression. But other then that what what you think as why I'm not getting any signal for crank sensor?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
i assume you have a good scan tool and can read data, if there was no rpm signal getting to the engine computer there would definitely be a fault code for loss of crank signal or loss of cam signal do you have any codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only code I had before was for cam sensor. As that was timing belt broken. What cause the timing belt to break was the idler was locked up causing the belt to loose teeth. So I replaced the belt, idler, water pump and tensioner. And I also changed crank sensor.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
lets check the compression you r scan tool may not be able to read the rpm while just cranking, wheras if there were no rpm at the pcm there would be an active code for sure, the pacifica changed it's communication architecture to a CAN bus in 2007 from the older PCI bus we used prior so some scan tools get bad info still
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do I will check it in the AM and let you know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok took intake off and check compression got about 110-120 on all cylinders. Put it back together and try to start it. It acts like it wants to but just doesn't. On my scan tool I got RPM's to show a few times but just for a second and the car try to start but that was it. What do you think?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
that's low but at least there is some compression where did you get the crank sensor from?we have serious problems with aftermarket sensors, send me the vin so i can pull a diagram for the crank sensor, if you disconnect the CAM sensor what happens, remember you may need to crank a bit with no cam sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
AutoZone is where I got it from there where the only place to have it. I usually only get parts at Napa. I haven't tried to crank it with the cam sensor disconnected but I will.
Vin: 2A8GM68X07R24806
Ok tried with can sensor unplugged and still nothing changed. I did see it cam up with a cam sensor code but that just showed up when I pulled it and tried to start it. So I had an idea and pulled the crank sensor plug to see if it would pull up on scan tool and it did so does that mean that it communicating with the ECM?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
it's good the codes set with the sensors unplugged, so I would try another sensor FIRST autozone sensors and any other discount store sensors are usually junk out of the box, NAPA is your best aftermarket bet OR a dealer sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll have to order one from napa in the morning but I won't have it till Tuesday morning. I'll keep you updated
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
no problem but check the price against dealer one there may not be much difference for a good quality one from napa vs a dealer one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok put new sensor in and it tries to start but no luck. I did see a crazy light on the dash bottom middle it's looks like a red lightning bolt with two lines that border it on both sides. I don't have a owners manual so I don't know what the light is. Now what do you suggest? Thank you for your time
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
can you upload a picture of the light?sounds like a electronic throttle warning light BUT not all 07 Chryslers would have electric throttle, IF there is a ETC (electric throttle warning ) there MUST BE a fault attached to it so your scan tool may need updating if it can't read all the faults.what type of scan tool are you using?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was doing some research and you are correct it's a ETC light. I have a Blue Point scanner. It's not a high end one, I can see most all live data and codes. But I can't see all of the sensors per se. I didn't know if that light was something that I needed to take to the dealer to scan and see if ETC is my issue or not.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
ETC could be a problem BUT there has to be a fault associated with a flashing ETC which can be any number of sensors, from cooling system sensor to MAP sensor as well as any ETC fault
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
most up to date scan tools SHOULD be able to read all PCM faults
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I rescanned it and I get P0660 and P2078
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
your missing a digit off that vin, i'm gonna need the full vin to get specific info on that car.but p0660 is MANIFOLD TUNING VALVE (MTV) CONTROL CIRCUIT that's the valve inside the intake that tends to stick BUT be sure it's actually plugged in first,and p2078 is INTAKE MANIFOLD TUNING VALVE POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH(SHORT TO VOLTAGE)if you want diag procedures for these codes let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I took a pic of it please let me know if you can open it and see the vin
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
With those coded will it keep it from not starting? And yes if you have the procedure to check them please let me know thank you
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
it's possible if there is a short in the wiring here is the procedure for BOTH codes start with the P2078 and see where that takes youhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/rpklawnd9xb5q1z/p0660.pdf?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/62k1a1bq2m2l7jn/p2078.pdf?dl=0
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok will do thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No ground showing in that circuit
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
follow the procedure to the end and see what the final outcome is
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the diagram and I didn't get any readings for ground. I even checked all 4 connectors and nothing.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
I don't quite understand what pin and where are you looking for a ground?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I meant to say I'm working on trouble steps from ground signal so I was ohming the wire through the pins and connector but didn't get any readings.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
ok so the BLACK and LIGHT green wire in pin 1 is the only one that needs ground and looks to be directly grounded to the chassis and is an O2 sensor ground as well as the ground for the EGR valve you may wish to trace this wire and see if the wire has broken, also check the 2 5volt supply and ASD output wire for the correct voltages, you may have a dead pcm OR a broken wire in the engine harness