Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

Have 2009 Town & Country Minivan. Car drives fine twice (about

Customer Question

Have 2009 Town & Country Minivan. Car drives fine twice (about a week apart) the engine would not start and the ECT light and engine light stay on after all the other panel lights go out when I turn the key. If I wait a little while - once 20 min and the other 2 hours - it starts right up. Mechanics say there is nothing showing on their diagnostic checks and of course I can't make it do it at the mechanics!
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no, but would like some input on what it seems to be since the mechanic cannot find anything. Checked the internet and others have had the same problem but no one really has shown a fix for it.
JA: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: It has 125,000 miles. The alternator was replaced about 6 months ago and a new ignition module about 18 months ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you out today. I have been a Chrysler technician since 1985 and have seen this before. But first before I can tell you what I think it is I would like to know if when it acts up does it not crank at all, or does it crank crank crank crank crank crank crank etc. and not fire? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not crank at all. it just makes a "thwump" sound then nothing
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming that the battery has been tested and passed the test correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the battery was tested and it is good. I took the van to my mechanic and since it is not having the problem when it is there, they could not find anything. When they run diagnostics, it shows nothing is wrong. Hopefully I will be able to get it to the Chrysler dealer for service, not optimistic though if they can't replicate the problem.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Some of the things I have seen causing this is a problem is a failing range sensor in the transmission, or a bad ground circuit. I have fixed this before by adding an extra ground wire between the battery and the bell housing of the transmission. You may want to mention that to the dealer. Chris