sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2008 chrysler sebring hard top malfunction JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

2008 chrysler sebring hard top malfunction
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: top went up but trunk would not completely close. said malfunction . after turning off key a few went completely. now says malfunction
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: would like to ...husband is savvy mechanically...also trunk button wasn't working but seems to be today
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: just got it but previous owner is best friend and it hasn't happened before...I drove it quite often all last year...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Lou P replied 5 months ago.
Hello a chrysler mechanic will be along soon to assist.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are several things that could be preventing the top from moving.The top is controlled by the power top control module. The module watches a series of microswitches that monitor the state of each component during operation. If the module sees a switch in an incorrect state then it will stop operation.If you're seeing a top malfunction message it's because the module has seen an issue and is purposely stopping operation to prevent damage.The problem could be a mechanical issue. If there is a mechanical failure that is preventing a top component, trunk or tonneau, or the header latches from operating correctly then it will cause this.The problem may also be electrical. A bad microswitch or wiring issue will stop operation.The first thing that should be done is visually inspect the components. A battery disconnect can also be tried, which will clear fault codes and module memory, but that may not help.If not then the next step will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting in the module and then testing can be done from there.