Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My Dakota 2011 shows the 9ASCAP code and ocassionaly doesn't

Customer Question

My Dakota 2011 shows the 9ASCAP code and ocassionaly doesn't change shifts after 3.
JA: Fortunately, the mechanics here speak code like it's their native tongue. They're great at getting to the bottom of things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Thank you for your answer. The problem I'm having is that my Dakota is having problems shifting changes and the "Check engine" light has turned on. Also I noticed the 9ASCAP code appeared today. On occasions, the transmission has failed to shift past the third change.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: Nothing else. Thank you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... The message is "GASCAP" and it means you have a large leak in your EVAP system.. You will either need to inspect all the rubber lines for one that is cracked or if you don't find any you will need a EVAP machine Miller tool 8404 to smoke the system to locate the leak then repair it, then run a LDP Forced test with a scantool to verify the leak is repaired... If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Is it possible that the leak in the EVAP system you mentioned may affect the transmission in any way?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
This code has nothing to do with the transmission.. If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad