Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.

I just finished replacing the compressor, condenser,

Customer Question

Hello. I just finished replacing the compressor, condenser, and dryer on my 2002 Chrysler T&C Limited (with rear AC and zone control) but am having trouble charging with coolant 9134a). I followed the protocol for evacuating the system and pulled a vacuum down to 29 mm Hg. I was only able to get 18 oz of 134a into the system before running into a problem With the compressor running, the high pressure side shows 150 and the low side shows 105.
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Using my recovery system I started correcting the high pressure on the low pressure side by pulling our small amounts of 134a thinking I might have over charged the system somehow. But this did not correct the problem. After the compressor cycles the pressures return to approximately the same (high pressure on the low pressure side and low pressure on the high pressure side).
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: Its a 2002, so its old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI, Ok, those pressures indicate a restriction on the low side, which will be the expansion valve. I always replace them when replacing the compressor. You can try evacuating and putting another vacuum on it to see if you can get it unstuck, but it is about 90% chance that you will need to replace it Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks