sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler sebring convertable jxi: had to change the key tumbler,

Customer Question

had to change the key tumbler, the one I have has no chip, the car does have the blinking red light, can and how do I over ride that system?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The SKIM system uses a transponder in the key which has to be validated by the SKIM module in the steering column before the engine will start. If the SKIM module, key and powertrain control module don't all agree then it will start and die three times and then lock the starter out, along with the S***** *****ght flashing.If you do have the SKIM system then a functional SKIM key has to be used to start the engine. An aftermarket lock cylinder that came with keys couldn't be used. What would need to be done is remove the lock cylinder and have it disassembled to replace the tumblers with the correct ones per the VIN's key code, and then the original key can be used. A dealer or locksmith can do this in 5-10 minutes.