Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

2006 PT Cruiser will intermittently not shift to higher gear.

Customer Question

2006 PT Cruiser will intermittently not shift to higher gear. Stop shut off and restart will usually cause it to work again.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It may be days or weeks between occurances. Then you take off and realize it is stuck in a certain gear. wont up shift.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. Took it to dealer to check. check engine light. no stored codes
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: check battery, perhaps low voltage. NOT. battery fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. This is almost always a failing transmission sensor or solenoid. It could be a wiring/connection problem at the PCM (computer) or at the transaxle. You said that there were no stored codes. They may have cleared themselves out. What you should do is to get the codes checked asap after the problem happens again. Then you will know which sensor or solenoid is causing this.