sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1998 chrysler sebring convertable and battery is good

Customer Question

i have a 1998 chrysler sebring convertable and battery is good and fuse #8 is good radio works and all lights work but it will not turn over. It is like it's in a security mode or something. We have a black key with the chrysler logo on it and this key only works in the ignition and we have a grey valet key that unlocks the doors. Is there a valet switch or a reset switch somewhere?
JA: The mechanics can certainly shed some "light" on this -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes the car is stranded in town
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checking fuse 8 and trying locking and unlocking the drivers and passenger door with the valet key.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.
Hi, is it with the 4 or 6 cylinder engine? Need to know in order to pull the proper diagrams.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's 6 cylinder
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are many things that can cause a no crank condition. If fuses are good it could be the starter itself, the starter relay, ignition switch, a transmission range sensor related issue, wiring, or the powertrain control module may not be awake. If the engine started, ran for two seconds and died three times before locking the starter out then it's a factory security related issue.Did it start and die three times or did the stater just not engage?