Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

My anti thefts engaged and I can't start my 2001 town and country,

Customer Question

My anti thefts engaged and I can't start my 2001 town and country, not even with the keys
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The battery was dead the hood was up and the anti theft was engaged,so when I changed the battery it went into protect mode or whatever and will not crank even if I try to disarm with the key remote
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I pray
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: No maam
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here, I will do my best to help. Disconnect the battery neg. cable for about 5 minutes, reinstall the neg. cable, close all doors and liftgate and the doors, then put the key in the drivers door and lock and unlock the doors a few times. let me know what happens. then. thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It still isn't cranking and the red light is still on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, have you tried a spare key by chance,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have a sparekey
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any clues
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, So that security light continues to blink even after you have turned on the key for 10 seconds or so. It doesn't quit blinking?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The red light stays on
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
I follow you, Alright, it's either going to be the key itself, or the SKIM module, the item that sits around the ignition lock cylinder and reads the key. If you take that SKIM module off and pull the cover on it, you may see a cracked solder joint in it, and be able to touch it with a soldering iron. I would really like to try a spare key, but if you don't have one, then we don't know for sure if that keys good, I would pull the SKIM off, take a look inside it, if you don't see any cracked solder joints, I'd call a mobile auto locksmith and have him come out and program you another key. That will save you a tow and in the event it's not the key, he can scan it for codes and probably fix it where it is. That is the most likely culprits and what I would recommend first. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.