Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

No crank no start. Recently it would not start after driving

Customer Question

no crank no start. Recently it would not start after driving around town. If I waited until the next morning when the engine cooled down it would start right up, but this morning after parking it last night, it will not crank, plenty of battery power
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery for a short time then retried. but no luck
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: 1999 chrysler sebring jxi runs fine after starting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, based upon the symptoms, I suspect your starter was overheating and failing and finally failed. If you are planning to repair yourself, I need the exact engine size and you will need a voltmeter and a helper to do some testing to confirm the diagnosis and if starter is good, do further testing to find the problem. If you will have a shop do it and you need a price estimate, I still need the engine size to give that information
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2.5 liter v6
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, the first thing we need to do is check the starter relay. It is in the engine compartment fuse/relay box(see attached). Swap it with the low speed fan relay and see if it starts. If it does replace the relay If ok, then you will need a helper to turn the key in the ignition to crank while you check the brown wire at the starter for 12v. If present, replace the starter. If 12v missing, and with relay good, then the ignition switch has failed and will need to be replaced Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.