Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Chrysler Diagnostics
18617752

Chrysler Sebring JX (Convertible): I'm the third owner of a

Customer Question

I'm the third owner of a 2003 Sebring Convertible, know both of the previous owners who take good care of thier vehicles, as do I. I have only driven it less than 1000 miles, it has overheated twice. The first time it was a hose and some hose clamps. After a couple of 100 miles it overheated again and now the mechanic says it is probably a blown head gasket. It has 182,000 miles on it. Checked, to replace it cost in excess of $1,000. I also found some Dural Seal head gasket additive that is less than $150 which claims to fix the problem.
Actually, I have two questions 1 is there any real value in spending in excess of $1,000 to repair this car? 2 would the sealer additive really work?
The mechanic says it really isn't overheating now, but is losing water through the engine and steam is coming out the exhaust. None of this sounds good to me. I already have $1800 into this vehicle, is it worth spending that much more?????
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.
If the coolant is leaking internal of the engine and steam is coming out of the exhaust, these are definitely signs of a faulty head gasket. As for the additive- in my experience, many of these do not work. There are a couple that "do" work, but when they do, it's not a permanent cure-all fix. It can last a few month to possibly even a year. But eventually, depending on mileage driven and driving habits, the problem usually does come back. The more expensive the additive, the greater chance it will work temporarily. But again, temporarily being the word here. As for the question of "is there real value in spending in excess of $1,000 to repair this car" - unfortunately, probably not. Due to the year and mileage and the fact that all cars depreciate in value over time, the vehicle probably isn't worth it. Also given the year and mileage, there's a strong chance that after repair, other major repairs will be needed. Which is true of any vehicle with higher mileage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.
..