Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

I have a 2004 pt cruiser and it just died while driving. It

Customer Question

I have a 2004 pt cruiser and it just died while driving. It did this twice. Once it started back up after a few minutes. The second time I had to get a jump start. Now the third time it won't start. We replaced the starter thinking that was it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just replacing the starter so far
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: No it ran fine prior to this without any problems.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Do you know what the charging system voltage is when it is running?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No because it won't run.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
I see, the battery will have to be charged up enough to get the engine running, (or replaced if it is bad) and then the alternator will have to be checked. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a common thing for the Pt cruiser for my year. There have been several people who have said they had to change out the pcm. I know it's a process of elimination at this point. Is there any way of specific checking to the pcm?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Does it set any trouble codes for the charging system?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes but I did not write them down last night the car isn't here with me. I will have to message you back a little later with them.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
That would be great, that way we will have a better idea as to the problem. I hate to say to replace the PCM without knowing, thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome, just let me know what the code(s) are and we can go from there, thanks