sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2007 Aspen 5.7 Hemi motor: Intermittent oil pressure loss.

Customer Question

2007 Aspen 5.7 Hemi motor: Intermittent oil pressure loss. Engine equipped with MDS. Car drives fine, slowly loses oil pressure to zero (installed gage to verify) ... turn off engine, immediately restart, oil pressure normal. My thoughts are a vacuum developing somewhere and restricting oil...after restart, pressure relieved and on start up, normal pressure. Doesn´t happen with any regularity...MDS ? Any help appreciated. Respectfully, ***** ***@******.***
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, would employ either local Chrysler dealer or trusted mechanic.
JA: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: In trying to solve problem, have replaced : oil pump / battery (did not do MDS reset which I just discovered) & rear main bearings.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The low oil pressure may be a restricted pump pickup, bearing and/or cam/crank wear, or it may be a drainback issue. Usually if pressure is lost and then regained after shutting the engine off and starting it again it is because it allows a little bit of time for more oil to drain back to the pan.Was the pump pickup replaced with the pump was?What is actual pressure on a cold start and hot idle in gear?How long have you had the vehicle?