CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
Experience:  AUTO TECH at G&M EXXON
83135375

I have a 2002 pt cruiser built in 12 0f 02 2.4 liter turbo

Customer Question

I have a 2002 pt cruiser built in 12 0f 02 2.4 liter turbo the starter turns but will not engage the to tne flywheel help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car was having a hard time starting so she changer the battery and hooked it up backwards the starter solenoid was cracked and burned wires I replaced the wires that were bad and now the starter will spin but not engage
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I have 12 volts too the solenoid engage wire
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I manually jumped the starter to see if it will engage but that did not help it has a brand new battery all of the battery cables are making good connection
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Ok, you need to replace the starter with solenoid assembly as the the solenoid is not causing the bendix gear to come out to engage the starter, or gear is not responding to the electrical signal to engage the starter. Replacing the starter assembly will resolve this issue Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have put 3 different new starters on this car all the same it will not engage the flywheel
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you get my next question ?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Not sure of the issue at this point. I will opt out and see another expert may know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you.
Can you see the flywheel?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes all of the gear teeth are in good shape and it is not loose
why do you think its not engaging?
have someone crank and watch the crank pulley to see if it spins, you may have a bad timing belt
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know
no compression can sound like that
Any other questions? Unfortunately I cant hear to let you now for sure.
if the cranks is spinning you will have to check to make sure the cam is
can I help you with anything else?
please rate me so I can get paid for my time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The crank is not spinning
the transmission housing isnt damaged is it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
NO
get a different brand of starter, maybe different store. You giving them the right info?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I gave them all of the Correct information
it cant be anything else. pretty cut and dry
please rate
if you dont feel i gave you good advice ill opt out and leave it for someone else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had the original starter rebuilt and it starts now but the smaller wire that goes to the positive post on the starter is getting hot enough to melt the wire what should I look for
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you get the message?
Hello?