bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert

I have a 2007 turbo PT cruiser with 67,500 miles; i just had

Customer Question

i have a 2007 turbo PT
cruiser with 67,500 miles; i just had the timing belt, water pump replaced (it didn't need it, just being careful & the 90K mile service; also had the A/C condenser replaced (it was leaking); the check engine light is on steady when i drive; i did the retrival code thing, but all i got was 3 beeps.
tks, melanie
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
you need a code reader to pull codes the older key cycle method went away a few years ago on many models, if you don't have a reader you can go to many parts stores and have them read or even purchase one for a few bucks to a few hundred bucks depending on what you want it to do ( the more you spend the more the code reader will do), BUT it may be better if you return to the shop that did the work and say the light is on now why? it's possible (50/50) that they caused the light OR it's possible something was getting ready to cause a light to come on (depends on the code set)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already knew about the code reader, but i was hoping to get some more info on possible causes, considering the work i had done, as to why the light is on; i'd hoped i could be a bit more understanding of the relationship of the work done & the light coming on; i also realize that the something else could be driving the issue & this is just a coincidence.....i have already spoken to the shop & will be taking my car in; by the way, my car is running fine, no loss of power, starts right up, etc. I feel am at a loss when i have to deal w/ car stuff, so that's why i did this "Ask Me" process. I'm no better off than when i started.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P.S.: i talked to the shop b/4 i did this, had hoped to have a better understanding of my car's issue so that when i did have to go thru the "taking my car back to the shop" drill, i'd feel less at a disadvantage.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
no expert can say why the check engine light is on without a fault code there are literally hundreds of reasons why that annoying little yellow light can come on so with the very limited info you sent and no code there is very little anymore anyone can say it's a fact of obd2 and modern automotive technology the light can come on for as simple a reason as a loose fuel cap or as complicated as a timing belt that is not properly installed, I suggest you invest in an inexpensive code reader and pull the codes i can be much more helpful then