George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Chrysler Town and country 2006 cannot pass emissions. Code

Customer Question

Chrysler Town and country 2006 cannot pass emissions. Code P0456. After paying for advanced diagnosis, Dealership says I need a new gas tank for costs of $1175. seems excessive
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The check engine list has been on for 10 months for small leak. I replaced fuel cap and it went off and back on and has mostly been on. A few months ago, I could only put a few gallons in the tank at a time because it would shut off. at that time the check engine light went out. Over the course of 2 weeks I could fill my tank again. The check engine light cam back on
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am looking for an alternative to replacing the fuel tank for over 1 thousand dollars
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: I don't see any gas tank leaks on the ground or any evidence that my gas tank has a hole.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 7 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, If the tank is leaking then it will need to be replaced but like a doctor I would get a secod diagnosis at a certified independent shop that has a smoke machine to verify the leak is from the tank. Please let m eknow what I can do to help Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Chrysler dealership charged $150 for the initial diagnosis but could not find the leak then a more detailed diagnosis for $375 to say its the gas tank. I have never noticed any gas leak or smell of gas or having to fill the gas up sooner than usual. Very skeptical of this diagnosis but its too expensive for a 2nd opinion
The code is for a very small leak, could be a hose on top of the tank or the part mounted in the tank, a smoke test will tell but I doubt you got that at the dealer. An independent with a smoke machine that knows how to use it will find the leak and let you know if it is just a hose connection or if the tank needs to be replaced. Often the mounting plastic for the pump cracks but without dropping the tank you don't know. Maybe you need the tank or maybe you need the pump module. It has to be checked to let you pass the test. I know this is expensive, it runs about $100 an hor for diagnosis but to find the problem it has to be done. Let me know what I can do to help you with this Thank you