sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2008 town and country makes a little noise when it shifts

Customer Question

My 2008 town and country makes a little noise when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd and also int 6th. it just goes uuurp
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It stated last summer and it seems not to slip but the noise drives me nuts. Had the fluid changed and that didnt work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: had fluid changed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: no 150K on it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's possible that you could be hearing clutch chatter or bearing/geartrain noise, or the noise may not be in the transmission at all. You may be hearing noise from an engine accessory for instance.You're familiar with the normal solenoid noise and this is something other than that?How long have you owned the van?How many miles have you put on it since the noise started, and has it gotten worse?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've had the van for 4 years. No a solenoid noise it's like a dog whimper just between 2nd and 3rd and 5th and 6th some posted a video on YouTube with the same noise
Can you provide a link?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owkFQQ5SZcA Here is the link. this video has the same noise mine is making.
If you use Autostick can you make the noise reliably if you shift back and forth between second and third?The noise happens at every shift into third and sixth?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it still makes the sound with shifting iot manually. Its not as loud or long but its still there
Was any work done before this start, body damage, etc?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Body work was done a year before
Can you try removing the trans dipstick tube cap and see if it changes anything?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Didn't change
Do you have access to Chassis Ears or something similar?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I dont
The problem could be with the 2/4 clutch, geartrain, or possibly a solenoid pack or valve body issue. Either chassis ears or a stethoscope should be used to pinpoint the area of the trans that the noise is coming from. I believe you'll find that the noise is coming from the front cover area and the solenoid pack is the cause.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a stethoscope I will put it up on a lift this weekend and see if thats where its coming from
Great!