sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2004 Dreamcruiser with 2.4 Turbo. Check engine light

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dreamcruiser with 2.4 Turbo. Check engine light is on, again. This car has been a pain! Replaced the computer.. replaced the 02 sensors, new plugs and wires. Now.. the engine sputters, like it's out of gas, but it's not. Tonight, with car in park the speedometer shows I am going 42 mph (but parked) and the mileage is rolling up at normal rate just like I am driving.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The speedometer showing speed while not moving is most likely being caused by electrical noise from a failing alternator. This could also be causing an output speed sensor or gear ratio error fault code to set and turn the engine light on.Do you know what codes are currently setting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Codes showing "today" (they change daily), P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0522, P0032, P0038. Just yesterday the 02 sensor were changed, it has new plugs, as of yesterday.. new wires as of yesterday. No codes showing at final repair... then after a few miles down the road,.. all these codes and the speedometer things starts. I replaced the computer module last year, ran good for a week.. then started back with the code thing.
Where did the replacement oxygen sensors come from?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You can usually expect repeat issues with aftermarket sensors. Were the P0032 and 38 setting before the sensors were installed?Has anything been done with the oil sender?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The sensor was purchased as recommended in the owner manual, stating BOSCH. The codes 0032 and 38 were present prior to replacement. Nothing on the oil sensor as that code is not showing,... yet.
A Bosch sensor definitely will not work on a Chrysler product with an NGC engine controller, Bosch doesn't make a sensor that will work in anything newer than 2002. Mopar sensors will be needed but you probably didn't need sensors anyway. I would recommend reinstalling the old ones.Most of the issues are likely being caused by a lack of proper ground. The oxygen sensor heater codes are most likely be set by a loss of ground on the heater circuit. Have you load tested this circuit at the time the codes were active?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe you can tell me why the dealership suggested the Bosch sensor if they would not work on my car? I had called and asked what was recommended, as well as finding in the manual? Where would I seek out the "bad" ground connection in layman's terms?
Anyone experienced at a dealer would know that a Bosch sensor will not work, but I don't have a way of knowing who you talked to. Any experienced technician would have known but I'm sure they wouldn't have let you talk to a technician over the phone. The owner's manual specifies only Mopar replacement parts be used and would never recommend aftermarket parts, especially specific parts or specific aftermarket brands.The oxygen sensor heater grounds need to be load tested with a headlamp or fog lamp bulb at the sensor connectors, while the codes are active.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate your attempt to help. My personal knowledge of the mechanic that I spoke with was a personal contact from my selling for Chrysler for a few years prior to purchasing this particular model. Speaking to the mechanic was not a problem. The outrageous cost of 350.00 (mostly labor) and then them not being sure if that was the solution. Again... I am disappointed.
Fault codes never tell what component needs to be replaced or repaired, electrical testing is always required. The sensors should have been about $174 for both and no more than an hour of labor to replace them both. They may have also accounted for diagnostic time to do the required testing to see if the sensors actually need to be replaced.