sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 pt cruiser ac lugs engine on idle blows warm air from

Customer Question

2006 pt cruiser ac lugs engine on idle blows warm air from ducts installed my gauges low side runs high 90 plus high side is low 100 low and high side lines are warm
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Do you know what the readings are with the RPM's raised up some? (to about 1500)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just a moment ... I'll check.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay gauge connection on high side is hard to reach. First I want to say I replaced part of the system , compressor,office tube line and dryer, got some wrong info from another (mechanic) !! I have to jump the cycling switch to get compressor clutch to engage, at 1500 rpm high side cycles between 300 & 450 low side is between 65 & 95 low pressure line warm , high pressure line ambient air temp.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
I see, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.
Hello, after you replaced the line and drier was the system pulleddown to a vacuum for at least 15 minutes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes about 30 min. Left it for 24 hrs to make sure no leaks
Thanks, ***** ***** system flushed as well? I'm assuming the previouscomressor failed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it was not. I don't think the compressor was the problem, evidently I was givin wrong info from another mechanic . The problem is the same as it was before I did all the work . Maybe I should have replaced the condenser. Must be a blockage somewhere for the high side to go to 450 psi
Thanks, ***** ***** sound like a blockage. I would take the lines loose and flush it with a god solvent and compressed air, then vacuum and recharge.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Never flushed one before . Could you give me the info, like do I have to isolate the compressor from the system?
It's pretty straight forward, you will disconnect the compressor, eveaporator and condensor linesthen addsolvent and blow them out. Read over the file below and let me know if I can help any further with any questions about it. http://www.teamec.be/cms_files/Flushing%20and%20Cleaning(EN).pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have to pull the condenser to flush it so it will be a day before I get back to you hope that's ok
That's fine, if you run into any problems pulling condensor just let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I flushed the condenser , hose's didn't find anything plugged , did find a lot of oil in the condenser . Took the dryer off lots of oil in it also I know there should be some . Blew compressed air thru the evaporater no restriction there . Thought I had it put 12 oz of 134 in and it started to act normal was cooling well even with that little of freon I waited a couple minutes before giving rest of freon gauges started going up way to high had to shut it down . Did notice my high side connecter on my gauge set was extremely hot , would burn to the touch . I'm at the end of my rope on this problem . Any ideas?
Thanks, ***** ***** is there's still alot of oil settled in the evaporator. Is the condesnor fan cutting on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Blew out the evaporator with air didn't get any oil , emptied all the oil I could from the dryer.
What did the low side read with the 12 oz and is the condensor fan coming on like it should when the high side gets around 250-300?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
High side hits 450 then the high pressure switch kick off the clutch . Only operates about two minutes before this happens. Low side is about 120 to 140 not good ! Doesn't run long enough for fan to come on
Thanks, I'm going to open this back up to other experts for you. Someone should be with you shrotly.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds like you may have a cooling fan issue. If the fan isn't running at all or is running slowly then it will cause the high pressures you're describing. Cooling fan failures weren't uncommon on these.Has fan operation been checked?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cooling fan works when temp of engine needs cooling but it doesn't come on when I turn on Ac should it? Also I have to jump clutch cycling switch .
Yes, the cooling fan has to run to bring high side pressure down.
Are you jumping the high pressure switch to get the fan or compressor to run?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No but I'll sure try that if that works do I need to get the control module reprogrammed ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just jumping the clutch cycling switch on dryer
That's the low pressure switch. The compressor only runs if the terminals are jumped together?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I know the high pressure switch on the compressor is connected normally and seems to work ok cuts out clutch at 450 psi and cycles back in around 300-350
Do you have to jump the low pressure switch to get the compressor to run?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
The pressure switch is bad then if static pressure is correct for the compressor to engage initially.The high pressure issue is still cooling fan related, odds are the fan assembly is going to need to be replaced because the high speed circuit isn't working. With the a/c running unplug the three way fan connector on the back of the shroud and check for power on one wire and ground on another. If present and the fan is not running then the assembly will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll ck fan replaced relays a few months back because the low speed stuck on . I'll check the high-speed side of the fan circuit if this cures problem do I have to control module reprogrammed .
There isn't a flash to repair the cooling fan not working.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok bypassed solenoid on high speed relay, like magic system pressures normal cooling well, pressure on low 29 psi high side 160 psi . Problem is PCM not grounding solenoid . Any chance cleaning connection at PCM ?
You need to check power and ground in the three way connector as I described . If one wire has power and ground is present but the fan isn't running then the assembly needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I said I check for power at plug on terminal that engages solenoid lt is hot , the problem is no ground . That is controlled by the PCM . Fan works fine .
The fans aren't controlled by the PCM, they aren't controlled by a switched ground nor a solenoid. You're testing at the three way connector on the bottom left of the fan shroud, underneath the car. One terminal should always have ground and if low speed works then ground is present. One of the other two wires should have power with the low speed fan commanded, the opposite for high speed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
According to my wiring schematic the PCM controls the ground side of the fan solenoid not true? Then what turns solenoid on and off?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is an 06 yr model
The TIPM controlled the cooling fan starting in 2006.Have you located the connector on the bottom left of the fan shroud?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes what do I need to ck
Please upload a picture of the connector you're testing at so we're on the same page.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fan works perfectly when I jump lt at the solenoid switch on the fan shroud what I'm not getting is a ground to activate the solenoid properly what switches the solenoid on . Where's the TIPM located ? Will send pics soon
The TIPM is the module/fuse box under the hood.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here's two pics
What are the wire colors in each? The wires are not visible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Four prong has black , red / black stripe about 10 gauge , green / orange stripe , green / lite green stripe about 18 gauge . Three prong has two red one black .
The four way should be the one you're looking for but the smaller wires should be dark blue/light green and dark blue/orange. Does that sound correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes colors are a bit faded , they are the ground wires for the solenoid right.
The four wires are power, ground and the fan control drivers from the TIPM.With the alligator clamp end of an incandescent test light connected to battery positive, the low pressure switch jumped, engine running and a/c turned on, probe the terminal for the dark blue/orange wire. Does it light?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The lite turned on for a second and went off , tried it several times with same results
If the fan does not run then the assembly will need to be replaced. The TIPM was driving the fan, just make sure power and ground are present on the large wires. If the low speed fan does work then power and ground have to be present.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why would it run when the blue / orange was only activated for a second seems like the TIPM is bad, what does TIPM stand for anyway .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The blue /orange wire would have to act as ground for fan solenoid to stay engaged to operate fan right ?
TIPM stands for totally integrated power module.If the wire did light the test light but the fan does not run then the fan assembly needs to be replaced.Deeper diagnosis would require a scan tool to monitor TIPM and PCM data, but if the fan doesn't run it needs to be replaced without a doubt.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You did not understand me , the test lite was only on for a second then went off , no lite no ground right !
I do understand. If the test light lights up and the high speed fan does not engage then the fan assembly needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fan works fine . I tested it by removing the solenoid and put a jumper wire across the fan and 12 volt terminals on the plug
The fan does not work fine because high speed doesn't run when the engine is running and a/c is turned on. The cooling fan assembly needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So fan has to run constantly with Ac on
Yes, as long as high side pressure is high enough.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know what the high side Pressure should be for the fan to turn on?
It will turn on at 280-320 PSI and back off at 235.