Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Chrysler PT Cruiser: 2000 PT Cruiser 2.0l ECC engine timing

Customer Question

2000 PT Cruiser 2.0l ECC engine timing belt marks. Does the main crank marks line up the same as the 2.4l? Where the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth lines up with the mark?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.Here in the USA we have a Neon with the 2.0L - basically the same design. However, I'm not sure I understand what's going on with it, so I need to ask you a few questions:does the engine start and run for only a few moments before stalling?does the vehicle have an anti-theft feature?do you have the original ignition key and remote fob?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engine starts and runs, idles rough. Once warm after decelerating the engine will idle more rough and occasionally die.
Yes the vehicle has an anti theft feature but it has nothing to do with that.
And yes it has the original key and remote fob.I'll ask my question a different way. Do you have an accurate diagram showing the exact timing marks for the timing belt? I am pretty sure the exhaust cam is out by one tooth, i need the diagram to confirm this. A diagram for a similar vehicle will not be sufficient
Thank you for that information. Now that I know what the issue really is I agree with you the anti-theft system has nothing to do with it. I also agree that it might be indeed caused by the timing belt being off a tooth - only thing that doesn't fit is the lack of a data trouble code indicating the lack of synchronicity between cam and crank.Timing belt installation can be tricky on this engine. I'll be back in a bit with the correct procedure including graphics to illustrate it.
OK. I've put it all together on a PDF file (attached)Please let me know if you need anything else.Best Regards.
The relearn procedure doesn't have to be done with a DRB-III. Just drive it for a bit and the system will adapt.Getting late here in the Dominican Republic. I'll be back on tomorrow the 19th after 2PM AST.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately it isnt a single cam motor, its a double overhead cam. Intake cam, exhaust cam... the cam sensor is running on the intake cam, thats why the exhaust cam can be out a tooth and not bring up any codes.Do you have the timing belt procedure for a 2000 Chrysler PT Cruiser with a 2.0l ECC engine?
This is the one for the DOHC engine with hydraulic tensioner.Please let me know if you anything else.