sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My name is ***** *****. Is there a safety to prevent top

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** *****. Is there a safety to prevent top from going all the way down? I forgot I had an empty box in trunk and tried to put top down. ( I know I wasn't supposed to have anything there, it was just an empty box). Anyway the top started to go down, and stopped when it hit the box. Now it starts to open, but stops right before the top starts folding. Help!!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It unlatches, starts to go up and back, then stops
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!No vehicle information was posted with the question but I'm assuming you have a 2007 or later Sebring or 200. If that's the case then the protection between the top and items in the trunk is the cargo divider. There is a switch in one side where the cargo divider installs and prevents the top from moving if the divider is not in place. If items are in front of the divider or the divider isn't being used (something holding the switch closed) then mechanical damage will be done to the top if it hits something when opening.What year and model is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What model is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2008 sebring convertable
Does the tonneau move correctly?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry answers will be sporatic as I am at work
Do you still hear the pump running when the top stops moving?What message are you seeing on the instrument cluster?