Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Gauges flicker like crazy when driving. Then Abs light comes

Customer Question

Gauges flicker like crazy when driving. Then Abs light comes on and off.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with ABS (as well as brakes in general.) Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: I don't think it is Abs.
JA: No worries. You and the mechanic can figure that out together. Ok, so other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Great. Just electrical problem with gauges
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Are any other electrical issues occuring with this here at all? Has anything been checked,tested or replaced for this issue here at all? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just got the van yesterday and as I was driving home the gauges started moving up and down like crazy. I haven't had time to take it in to be tested. No other issues other than check engine light on.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Does the battery seem weak at all with this issue?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. It seems like a strong battery.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
O.k.,what usually fails or acts up like this here causing this fault is an internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster/gauge assembly itself.This can short out internally causing this issue and would need to be removed and replaced.The instrument cluster on this model here is actually an ecu/computer as well and it fails internally commonly causing this fault.I would have the fault codes checked using a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.The cluster signals will need tested as well and may require a compatible scan tool and electrical test equipment to do this testing.This is best done by either a dealer or repair center that works on this type of model here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete