Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

1995 Chrysler Cirrus v6 2.5L cranks, no spark, no codes.Since

Customer Question

1995 Chrysler Cirrus v6 2.5L cranks, no spark, no codes.Since I've owned, approx 2yrs:Had problem with car surging or dying at low speeds. I would later (see below) disconnect cruise control/throttle cableCheck engine light would come on but was unable to find anyone who could retrieve a code. Check engine light would reset itself.In last 6months:Recently had transmission rebuild. Limp mode.After transmission rebuild, would still die/surge occaisionally even when going up to 15 mph but could be restarted.Disconnected cruise control throttle cable but did not disable cruise control module. Seemed to stop car from surging but not from dying.Car ran good for 3 months but still died occasionally. No more surge2 wks ago car died driving at low speed. Would not restart as it always had.Hooked up timing light and have no spark conditionNow have 4.6 volts on the PCM sensor ground line. Source of voltage is the TCM.12v B+ to PCM ok.No 8v or 5v.Check engine light is off when cranking.Replaced crank sensor and distributor.ASD relay ok but is not being activated.
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Please read post before asking questions answered in post
JA: How old is the battery?
Customer: IDK but havery 12+V
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: My post had different format before it was posted and changed into one long paragraph
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Based on your description of the problem/symptoms, it really sounds to me that the PCM itself is failing. Has that ever been replaced? Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It has not been replaced. That was my thinking but due to cost of replace and reflash I want to eliminate other possibilities first. Can a short in the TCM fry the PCM? Or is voltage on sensor ground line normal before PCM grounds it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could timing belt have jumped a tooth.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
I have never seen a TCM take down a PCM to be honest with you. Chris however I have seen other 5 volt sensors short out and pull the 5 volt reference voltage down and cause the PCM to shut down. So the sensors that might do this are the ac pressure transducer, the MAP sensor, and the TPS sensor. If you can get it to die, then try disconnecting those sensors one at a time to see if it affects it. If not, then suspect the PCM. As far as the timing being off? That would not cause an intermittent stalling. Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't get car to start at all now so no testing sensors. I have no spark. I know my post is hard to read. I typed in word and then pasted here. It changed the format into one long, almost unreadable paragraph.
I will repost and hopefully it makes more sense
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1995 Chrysler Cirrus v6 2.5L cranks, no spark, no codes.Since I've owned, approx 2yrs:Had problem with car surging or dying at low speeds. I would later (see below) disconnect cruise control/throttle cableCheck engine light would come on but was unable to find anyone who could retrieve a code. Check engine light would reset itself.In last 6months:Recently had transmission rebuild. Limp mode.After transmission rebuild, would still die/surge occaisionally even when going up to 15 mph but could be restarted.Disconnected cruise control throttle cable but did not disable cruise control module. Seemed to stop car from surging but not from dying.Car ran good for 3 months but still died occasionally. No more surge2 wks ago car died driving at low speed. Would not restart as it always had.Hooked up timing light and have no spark conditionNow have 4.6 volts on the PCM sensor ground line. Source of voltage is the TCM.12v B+ to PCM ok.No 8v or 5v.Check engine light is off when cranking.Replaced crank sensor and distributor.ASD relay ok but is not being activated.Car does not start
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the repost. I still think that this is a failed PCM. But it would sure be nice to find an older OBD 1 style scan tool to confirm this. Any chance you can find a shop or auto parts store that will ket you rent one? An older Snap On MT2500 or Solus would be perfect. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see how it is goingIf my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank you! Chris.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took your advice and hired a mobile mechanic to scan my car. He agrees that it looks like the PCM is bad. I've ordered one from a wreck king yard. It will be here Friday at the earliest. Sorry for the delaged response. I will
Post when I have more info. Thanks
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good. I will keep an eye out for your reply. Chris