Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

Are you there? JA: I'm here. Customer: ok where do i start,

Customer Question

are you there?
JA: I'm here.
Customer: ok where do i start, 01, chrysler sebring limited conv. 2.7 engine
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: ok nevermind autosystem
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: are you even real, whats your name?
JA: Pearl Wilson.
Customer: middle name?
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sebring 2.7 fuel and fire only for a sec. Hits, backfires, and then nothing. No codes. wait 1hr or reset system and then misfires once again, and then same. Problem started while driving, slowed to turn in store, 10 mph, car shut off like not fire or fuel, head lights, heater blower, radio on everything powered, would not restart. Had it checked out and was told mechanically it's fine, compression, timing everything is good. ECU sent off for testing, came back good , but not 100% couldn't test the quads. all fuses are good, ASD ground switch is constant. even with switch off. When ecu did code it wouldn't reset, OBD said module busy. previous codes was P0725 and P0700. changed crank shaft sensor and engine speed input/ output sensor, still problem remains. Is my ECU bad or need reprogrammed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
***@******.***(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.So you saying the engine will start then it backfires and stalls, is that correct. Once it stalls do you loose spark and it will not start? Post back when yo can and we can work from there. The code P0700 simply means the transmission control module is setting a fault code and the code P0725 indicates you have a Engine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction and this will usually not cause the engine to stall. Please explain if you are loosing spark when it die and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Engine will not start, turns over and backfires once. You have to wait an hour or reset system before it backfires again. I was able to get the ecu to clear codes after a long reset. Now there are no codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Oaky when it will not start can you check to see if you have spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure and see if you can determine which you are lacking?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have have proper pressure and pulse, but only until it backfires and then nothing until you reset system our wait an hour and try again
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
So once it backfire you loose spark and injector pulse?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, could this be a faulty ecu?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Yes that is sure a possibility especially if you can reset it and the problem clears. I would start with checking power and grounds at the ECU when it stalls and will not restart.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, is the ads ground switch supposed to be made all the time or only while cranking,
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Yes the ADS has to have a ground to stay energized.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know there is 2 constant hots, and the 2 ground. I understand that the ecu makes the ground connections, but just didn't know if it was supposed to be made constantly, even with key off
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
You can test the relay with the steps in the link below , copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Run through the steps and see if this will help you narrow it down.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ASD%20Apr%2012.pdf
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok i'll do that and get back to you. I'll have to let you know tomorrow though. I have to go to work. Thanks for your time, Oh and another thing with those ground switches made, shouldn't i have constant power to the fuse 24 and 25. cause i don't
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
No problem, Im here tomorrow as well. Ill have to look at the wiring diagram on the fuse point.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok , 24 is injectors/coil 20amp fuse and 25 is starter 10amp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i don't have a DRBIII. I have an OBD2. I don't think that will work, but I think I can complete the tests manually. I'll let you know what I find. thanks again.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Your scanner should work, let me know after you run the steps.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope to have the results on the relay test today, I'll get back to you soon
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
No problem, Im here when you ready.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tested the ASD relay, here is what I found, https://youtu.be/BEO9fu7vvP4After the first backfire, there is no longer any fire, only fuel. after reset we have fire and fuel until immediate backfire and then again fuel no fire.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Have a look at the steps in the link below for testing the ASD.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ASD%20diag%20Apr%2016.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
During the testing one of the fused b+ circuit is ground when the ecu is plugged up, the other fused b circuit is 12v. Regardless, not sure what is cutting fire out after first backfire.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
The ASD relay is controlled by the ground switch signal from the PCM (computer) . If you loosing the ground then you may have a problem with the PCM . See the ASD relay wiring in this link.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ASD%20Apr%2016.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All that seems right, it appears the asd relay switch is made with key off or on. Its constantly made
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Like it's stuck closed
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
It should only be grounded with the key on, have you tried a different relay?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, it's ground all the time. As long as the ecu it's plugged in.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
So so when the engine dies are you loosing spar as well as injector pulse?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
After it backfires, I lose fire not fuel.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
The backfire is caused by the loss of ignition. It sound like you may have a problem with the PCM and or a connection but I can not say for sure. I would also check your ground, there are two in the engine compartment, make sure there clean and tight. See there location in the link below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Ground%20Apr%2016.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's kinda what I was thinking, I have checked all the wires and grounds. I found a ecu programmed for 150.00 think I'm gonna try that
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Its a bit of a gamble but at this point I think that what I would do as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Okay, sounds good.