Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. The windows stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. The windows stopped working!!!
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I checked the manual and I can't find a fuse to go to the windows and soft top. Someone told me about a relay switch. Not sure what that is.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I can assist you today. First thing I would like you to do is to check fuse #14, it should be a 20 amp fuse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked at #14 (the box in the car, not the one under the hood- that #14 is a 15 amp). The panel inside is 20 amp but says it's for the horn. Maybe they share a fuse? I don't remember the horn having a problem and I can't test it now... The battery went dead because the door apparently wasn't closed all the way (the windows are supposed to raise and lower slightly when the doors open and close so they can fit snugly under the soft top. Without the windows lowering it seems like the window will break if it's closed tightly). It doesn't seem to be blown. Is there something else I can check? Is there a time limit for my question?
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
No there is no time limit. Give me a minute while I pull the wiring diagram back up.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, fuse #9 40amp in the power distribution center under the hood is for the power top relay. You will also need to verify fuse #14 on the fuse block inside the car, that powers the modules for both of the front windows. if either one of your windows is not working it will stop the top from going down a well as if the power top relay has no power then the top will not work If those check out OK you will most likely need to replace "circuit breaker 2" in the fuse block inside the car (I am attaching an image that shows its location).You could remove that circuit breaker and very briefly attach a jumper wire (with a 20amp fuse in-line) to jump the terminals just to verify that the windows start working.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Here is the diagram.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow after work! I'll let you know what I find. Thanks!
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome, let me know what happens. Talk to you soon.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I had just wanted to follow up with you and find out if you ended up getting this resolved.