Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Lower brake lights not working but top is - the fuse under

Customer Question

lower brake lights not working but top is - the fuse under the hood is good, I tried replacing the signal switch. Hazards work.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Are you planning on changing the fuse yourself?
Customer: the fuse under the hood is fine, its a 2002 town & country, is there another fuse somewhere else?
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to fuse guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: fine
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  SuperDave replied 8 months ago.
This could be a bad brake light switch.Disconnect the brake light switch it is located on the left side on the brake pedal bracket.After you disconnect the connector take a jumper wire and jump the two pins on the connector together and see if the brake lights come on.If they do then the brake light switch is bad.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Previously I had read online that if the break light switch was bad that none of the break lights would work including the top center light... is there something with that idea is wrong when it comes to this van?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well, I went ahead a replaces the break switch - still not working, also in your above answer, there were about 6 pins.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** to see if the white/tan wires at brake lights have power when brakes are pressed, if so your bulbs are burned out. If not then you probably have a issue with splice 304 which is where white/tan wires at lower brake lights mean with white/tan wire from upper brake light. Here is a picture of the splice, let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.-https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ljnoxvoryoxhxr/s3304.pdf?dl=0-https://www.dropbox.com/s/93s8iel2u1qkiy3/wirediag.pdf?dl=0