FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

I had a pre purchase inspection of a 2007 PT Cruiser. The auto

Customer Question

I had a pre purchase inspection of a 2007 PT Cruiser. The auto shop where I had the inspection had high marks/ratings. The inspection just came back with a lot of catch up with routine maintenance.
I get the oil changed, and then hit the road.
I purchase the car, and then drive it 50 miles, then when I get off the freeway the Radiator Reservoir starting boiling. While I was waiting for it to cool, the oil stick was showing plenty of fluid. I pulled over and stopped to let it cool down for a bit, until I moved another few more miles where I stopped for the night. I went to purchase BARS head gasket sealer. I used half as instructed by the product, completed the instructions and stopped for the night.
I came back today with a new radiator cap, and radiator additive to lower the temperature, and added antifreeze. I drove the car 50 plus miles no over heating, and ran just fine. Could part of my issue been the defective radiator cap, and low coolant?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Once completed above while the car was warm, I tested the upper radiator hose. I was about to hold it without my hand/fingers getting warm for about 5 seconds. Could this be a thermostat issue?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for the question. It does sound like it may be a bad thermostat. if it is not opening at the right temperature this will occur. If it is losing coolant then it needs to be inspected for a leak. If it is leaking or burning coolant then that needs to be addressed first. If not then it may have lost coolant if it was boiling over. I would replace the thermostat first to see if that takes care of it. If not then a block test needs to be done to see if it has a head gasket issue, which is very common on this engine. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.