rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

From Hawthorne, I'm having a battery drain issue

Customer Question

***** ***** from Hawthorne, I'm having a battery drain issue in my 97 Plymouth Voyager, only short I could find was 70 milliamp current draw across the eatx fuse.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: New battery dies over night.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. See attachment for the best way to find that draw. Also, keep in mind that a computer may not be going to sleep causing this too.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The provided suggestion did not advance me any further from where I was, as I stated that the current draw is coming from the EATX circuit, the information provided in the recommended ration is pretty much how I got to the original question I asked. I have a 70 milliamp draw across the EATX fuse circuit, which is causing the battery to loose amperage such that the vehicle has trouble starting. This current draw is also killing batteries, I am on my third battery within six months. The dieing batteries are only a sympton of what is causing them to continually get syphoned to death. No short across alternator or starter, there is also a temporary 200 milliamp draw across the memory fuse circuit, but after 20 seconds it drops to <1 milliamp.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
I never saw the request to call you.Ron
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I clicked the call me button and it said it may take a day to check none the the call.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Okay, give just a bit more time and I'll still keep checking too.