sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I son wrecked my 2006 Town and Country minivan this afternoon

Customer Question

Hi, I son wrecked my 2006 Town and Country minivan this afternoon close to the house. The airbags blew but the van starts and is still drivable. However I can't get it out of park. Can you help please? I don't want to call a tow truck this close to the house. ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: OK My son hit an electric pole dead center between the front two lights. The bumper and grill are a bit smashed but beings the vehicle seemed to be drivable the responding officer said we were free to take the van home ourselves after he filled out the accident report. I said I'd take care of it myself and he left. Now the van starts but I can't get it out of park.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The problem may be a handful of things. It could be a mechanical issue such as something foreign lodged in the shift linkage on top the trans, or it may be an electrical issue with the brake interlock. Start by seeing if there is anything foreign blocking linkage movement on top of the trans.If ok then the problem is most likely with the interlock, either the solenoid itself or it not being powered. Do the brake lamps work?