Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Try to crank my van and its saying bad key where the mileage

Customer Question

Try to crank my van and its saying bad key where the mileage is but I have no other key for it
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes ma'am it's just not wanting to crank I don't know what to do to fix it
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No ma'am that's it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed. With very few exceptions, a BAD KEY indication on the dash, along with a failure to crank, is just as it states: Bad key.The good news is that your Caravan or Chrysler minivan is likely included in the R03 recall, which involves the replacement of the in-dash receiver unit (called the Wireless Ignition Node/ WIN) and two ignition keys. While the recall wasn't listed to fix the sort of problem you're currently having, it may very well cure it at no charge other than the tow bill. I can't make the call from my remote location whether you'll either find a fix with the R03 recall or whether the tow will be comped, but it does seem very likely that your problem will be cured once the R03 is done. The original concern with the R03 recall was that the key might roll back from the RUN position while driving, not that the keys might fail. It's a fortunate coincidence that the R03 might fix your key situation. Call your local Dodge/ Chrysler/ Ram/ Fiat dealer when you can to check for recall applicability, or if you send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can check it from here. Your call to the local dealer is free of course, but JustAnswer is a pay service. If you find my advice to be helpful, a positive rating is appreciated. Ed