George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

Here. I have a 2001 pt cruiser. I went to replace

Customer Question

***** ***** here. I have a 2001 pt cruiser. I went to replace exhaust flex pipe and removed the cat and replaced it with a straight pipe. Drove the car 1800 miles with no trouble. Better power and better
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Gas milage. Should I put the cat back on or put an aftermarket on or just leave as is and let the check engine light glow?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, It is a federal offense to remove the cat. You have to deal with your own ethics on that. As far as the computer goes it does run some of the fuel control from the rear sensor, if the light is on for the rear sensor then it reverts to base fuel control so you see a difference. A new cat should flow the same as your straight pipe so you should not see a difference from what you have now but with the light out you will be notified if another part of the engine control system develops a problem, as it is you don't know if something else needs attention. Please let me know how I can help you with this Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your time. This was an experiment. The cat I took off is original equipment Chrysler. You can still see daylight thru it. Nothing rattling. Are you familiar with "cleaning cats" with Dawn? Think it helps? When I started this the flex pipe was leaking but no check engine light. BTW. air bag light is on as well. My brother put shoulder pads on the seat belts so they never retracted all the way. Hence maybe the light. How do I reset the air bag light to see if removing the pads is the answer
I am familiar with the various ways to "clean" a cat. It does nothing in my opinion. There are other pour in chemicals and my opinion is the same for those, cats have a finite life where the catalyst degrades and they need to be replaced. Somewhere between 100000 - 150000 miles. It is a consumable product like spark plugs. The airbag system checks everytime you turn on the key and if there is a fault the light remais on. You need to get the codes read out of the airbag system and that will point to the problem. An OBD 2 code reader will not do this, it needs a higher level scantool to see the airbag codes. Let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will a OBD code reader clear the air bag codes? Then if light stays out I know I fixed problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could be clock spring.
Yes it could be a clockspring, the code would be for the driver's airbag. No a OBD reader will not clear this, everytime you turn the key on the system is checked by the airbag computer and if it clears the light is turned out. If the fault is repaired the light will go out, if the fault is present the light stays on. Let me know how I can help Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanx. Seems there is as much online misinformation as info. I'm gonna look for a new cat and a high level scanner. This car is 15 years old but I don't think the Trans or the engine is orig (odometer shows almost 230k). The AC works great. The timing belt and water pump changed recently. New struts, shocks, sway bar bushings, link pins, front rotors and pads. Just gotta get those lights out.
Yes, the internet is full of people claiming to fix real problems with 10 cent solutions. The real world is that when a part is worn out you need to replace it. Snake oil has been a part of automotive history since cars have been made. Sounds like a cat is in your future, that should pout the light out if your only code is for the cat. Please let me know how i can help Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are oceans of online sources for cats. I have a new flex pipe and muffler. Can you advise what to get or stay away from? Hate to get one that doesn't allow light to go out.
The cheapo are cheap for a reason. The cat has expensive metals deposited on a ceramic substrate and the cheap ones use less of these metals so you get a part that does the job for a short time ( 8 months to 16 months) but the real parts work for years. Once installed the cat should last as long as the original, the chep options will not last and the codes will be back in just a few months. Let me know how i can help Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. No J C Whitney then. NAPA?
Eastern Cataytic has stepped up and offers cats that last a few years, the bet source is the manufacturer but it depends on how long you expect to keep the vehicle. This is a 16 year old vehicle and was never meant to last this long when it was designed so you have to determine what you are willing to spend on it. Let me know hwat I can do to help Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've heard about Eastern. My brother traded a motorcycle for this car about 3 years ago. He helped the guy change out the water pump and timing belt so the deal would go thru. Can't be that clapped out or why bother. We both know no Mopar Trans would go 230K so that's not original. I once put 309K on a '94 Caravan. i scrapped it when 2nd Trans failed. Engine was still going.
Ok, that is your decision to make, please let me know if you have further questions Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again. Buenos noches. Go Cubs!
Glad to help, I spent 20 years in Chicago area and now you have Joe. He is a genius so maybe the cubbies will go all the way soon.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's the Cubs year. This is it. No more tears on Waveland Avenue.
Good luck with that ;)